FedEx FDX 154.63 +2.59 +1.70% just announced deliveries 7 days a week. Amazon shoots for 30-minute drone deliveries.
The Wall Street Journal reports FedEx to Deliver Packages 7 Days a Week.
“Online shopping is seven days a week,” FedEx President and Chief Operating Officer Raj Subramaniam said in an interview. “So there is increasing demand from online shoppers and e-commerce shippers for seven-day service.”
The package giant, which only recently added Saturday ground deliveries, plans to offer seven-day residential delivery in the U.S. next year as it seeks to capture more of the e-commerce surge.
Fast Moving Target
What’s it all about? Competing with Amazon AMZN 1,785.66 +28.15 +1.60%.
For two years, people could get many items overnight with Amazon Prime. The number of items available for overnight delivery has soared.
FedEx was forced to compete, but Amazon is a fast moving target.
30-Minute Drone Delivery Coming UP
Today at Amazon’s MARS Conference (Machine Learning, Automation, Robotics, and Space) in Las Vegas, they unveiled their latest Prime Air drone design.
Amazon has been hard at work building fully electric drones that can fly up to 15 miles and deliver packages under five pounds to customers in less than 30 minutes.
With the help of their world-class fulfillment and delivery network, Amazon expects to scale Prime Air both quickly and efficiently, delivering packages via drone to customers within months.
Latest Drone Features
- Hybrid design can do vertical takeoffs and landings. It can also switch from vertical-mode to airplane mode, and back to vertical mode.
- It can detect both stationary and moving objects as well automatically avoid power lines.
- It is independently safe. It will not fly into a wall even if instructed to do so.
- Sophisticated AI algorithms are trained to detect people and animals from above.
- Solar power charged. Amazon’s vision is to for 50% of all shipments to have net zero emissions by 2030.